Topic Options
#4323 - 07 Apr 2017 03:16 PM Explanation of the various Markets
CShawky Offline

Loc: Seven Hills, NSW
Hi
I've just started to explore the sample WebSocket app and would like some information in ragards to what all the various markets refer to on the demo system as it isn't clear to me from the documentation. Can anyone help with a description for these and what is the default if none is specified?
ASX:TM:AD[Demo]
ASX:TM:D[Demo]
ASX:TM:E1[Demo]
ASX:TM:E2[Demo]
ASX:TM:E3[Demo]
ASX:TM:E4[Demo]
ASX:TM:E5[Demo]
ASX:TM:ED[Demo]
ASX:TM:I[Demo]
ASX:TM:ID[Demo]
ASX:TM:IR[Demo]
ASX:TM:PRV[Demo]
ASX:TM:QD[Demo]
ASX:TM:TST[Demo]
ASX:TM:W[Demo]

I tried production after market close, and for some reason did not get a response to the Markets query for comparison.

Thanks
Shawky

#4324 - 16 May 2017 01:29 PM Re: Explanation of the various Markets [Re: CShawky]
Daniel Chandler Offline
Paritech Developer

Hi Shawky,

There's a difference between a Market (ASX, CXA, etc) and a Trading Market. A top-level Market provides symbols, depth, trades, price data, etc. A Trading Market is used for symbol status and order targeting, and exists within a top-level Market. What you've listed are the Trading Markets within the ASX.

For example, BHP is listed on the ASX market. It belongs to the ASX:TM:E1 Trading Market, which is Equity Market Group 1 (A-B). It also supports orders being sent to ASX:CP, which is the CentrePoint Trading Market.

This means BHP's status (whether it's open, in pre-open, etc) will be derived from ASX:TM:E1. You don't need to worry about that though, as the status in the Security subscription will have this logic applied already.

The only time Trading Markets come into play is when you're trading (hence the name). When you're trying to buy or sell BHP, you can send it to either ASX:TM:E1 or ASX:CP (or any of the Chi-X Trading Markets). You can also send in ASX as a default (or ASX:TM) and it will automatically figure out you mean ASX:TM:E1.

In the Demo environment, both Markets and Trading Markets have the suffix of '[Demo]' to make it clear what system you're talking to. This also applies to Trading Accounts.

Most of the Trading Markets are defined under Appendix B2 in the WebSocket API documentation. The ones that aren't you won't currently see used by any symbols.

You won't get any data from production using your demo credentials, or an access token provided from the demo system. You will need separate credentials for this.

Regards,

Daniel

Moderator:  Daniel Chandler